- Differentiate linked text from unlinked text.
- Differentiate visually between visited and unvisited links.
- Make link text work in context.
- Make it scannable (that is, make it work if not out of context, then without the context of the sentence that includes it).
- Keep it short but predictive of what users will get when they click.
- Put the words related to that prediction at the start of the link text.
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/113-design-guidelines-homepage-usability/ sections #34-39