The goals of the Performing and Media Arts curriculum can best be summarized as to develop students' imagination, sensitivity, theoretical background, historical and cultural awareness, as well as critical and creative skills. In the long run, the study of the Performing and Media Arts will help students work toward becoming well-rounded artists and citizens, ready to assume any role within the totality of the arts and to serve society with civic mindedness, engagement, depth of understanding and a sense of connection and responsibility in the world. The primary role of the Performing and Media Arts Staff, whether full time staff or students, is to provide support for the Performing and Media Arts faculty and students and their curricular projects. A second goal is to provide a vocational training program for students interested in acquiring practical skills in the technical, business and information services that are required to support the Performing and Media Arts curriculum and production projects.
The Communications Lab Building Houses
- Experimental Theater
- Recital Hall
- 8 & 16 Track Studios
- Music Technology Labs
- Film and Animation Labs
- Rehearsal Rooms
There are five full time permanent staff in this building and approximately 50 student staff members. We schedule and support classes, rehearsals and performances for full and part time Performing and Media Arts programs. Performing and Media Arts programs are sub units of the Expressive Arts Planning Unit.
The Expressive Arts Planning Unit is Made up of Three Sub Units Called
- Performing Arts.
- Media Arts.
- Visual Arts (we do not directly support this sub unit).
The Permanent Staff Members of the Communications Building are
- John Robbins - Managing Director.
- Matt Lawrence - Technical Director.
- Shannon Stewart - Building Coordinator.
- Monique Anderson - Costume Shop Supervisor.
- Dennis Mobbs - Master Carpenter
The Com Bldg Student Staff Work in Five Different Offices of the Building
- Information Office – Supervised by Shannon Stewart ext 5896.
- Musical Instrument Check Out – Supervised by Shannon Stewart.
- Box Office – Supervised by John Robbins ext 6651.
- Scene Shop – Supervised by Matt Lawrence ext 6748.
- Costume Shop – Supervised by Monique Anderson ext 6057
The Performing Arts Faculty that we Support are
- Terry Setter - Music
- Sean Williams - Music
- Arun Chandra - Music
- Andrew Buchman – Music
- Rose Jang - Theater
- Walter Grodzik- Theater
- Ariel Goldberger- Theater
- Ratna Roy – Dance
- Kabby Mitchell – Dance
- Rob Esposito – Dance
- Jamie Lynn Colley – Dance
- Marla Elliot – Music
The Media Faculty we Support are:
- Sally Cloninger
- Anne Fischel
- Ruth Hayes
- Naima Lowe
- Laurie Meeker
- Julia Zay
This Group Refers to Themselves as Moving Image Group (MIG)
- Ben Kamen – Music technology
- Peter Randlette – Audio recording and music technology
- Zena Vergara – Audio recording
Photos of all of the Performing and Media Arts faculty can be found online at our Communications Lab Building webpage www.evergreen.edu/expressions
One of the departments on campus that our staff works closely with is Media Services. It has four branches and they are:
- Electronic Media (EM).
- Media Loan (ML).
- Sound and Image Library (SAIL)
Out of these Branches we Primarily Work with Electronic Media and Media Loan
Electronic Media permanent staff that we often work with:
- Peter Randlette – Head of Electronic Media
- Diana Schlesselman – Media Producer
- Zena Vergara – Media Support Technician
- Stephanie Zorn – Head of Instructional Media
Other staff are listed on the following webpage
Electronic Media staff work with us in the following ways:
- Troubleshoot/repair/maintain AV cabinets.
- Teach workshops or part time classes.
- Manage and maintain certain labs located in the Com Bldg.
- Manage student support staff and Interns
Electronic Media is located on the first floor of the library.
The phone number for the help desk is ext 6270.
Their hours may vary so you can call or
check their webpage listed above.
The student Interns that we often deal with are:
- Audio Intern ext 5848 – Supervised by Zena Vergara
- Hybrid Intern ext 5848– Supervised by Zena Vergara
- Music Tech Lab Intern ext 6862 – Supervised by Peter Randlette
- Animation Intern ext 6139 – Supervised by Stephanie Zorn
The Intern office is located in the Com Bldg room 349
Labs managed by Electronic Media
- Audio Recording Studios – Zena Vergara ext 5277
- Music Technology Labs – Peter Randlette ext 6279
- Animation and Film Labs – Stephanie Zorn ext 6249
Labs require proficiency which can be gained by being in a program, given a workshop or passing a test by EM staff.
For more information about the labs you can visit the Media Services webpage for virtual tours, equipment lists, classes, contacts and more.
Another branch of Media Services that we often work with is Media Loan.
Media Loan is where students, staff and faculty can check out electronic equipment to support their academic work.
Some of the most common ways the Com Bldg is connected to Media Loan are:
- Students scheduling time in Com Labs (late night access).
- Equipment on permanent check out to building, such as AV carts.
- Audio Work Orders completed by students in recording programs
Media Loan is located on the main floor of the library.
The phone number for the help desk is ext 6253.
Their hours may vary so you can call or
check their webpage listed below.
To learn more about using a wiki see the help files.