- Scientific Name: Antennaria howellii
- Family: Asteraceae
- Common Names: Howell's pussytoes
- Codon: ANTHOW
|Genus:|| Antennaria Gaertn.|
|Species:|| Antennaria howellii Greene|
Perennial, dioceous herb with erect stems and spreading stolons, up to 4 dm tall. Basal leaves entire, oblanceolate, green and glabrous above, white wooly below. Cauline leaves few, linear. Pseudanthia discoid with imbricate phyllaries. Male flowers with undivided style and sparse pappus; female flowers with bifid style and many capillary bristles. Achenes are terete.
May to July
Prairies to open woodlands, roadsides, disturbed sites.
Could be grown in rock gardens for spring bloom.
Seed sample from: 2009
Average Measurement: 1.1 x 0.3 x 0.2
Measurement Range: L: 0.9 - 1.5, W: 0.2 - 0.4, D: 0.1 - 0.3
Shape: Slightly larger than Anaphalis margaritacea and has lighter, glossier, and more dimpled hilum.
Additional Structures: At opposite end of hilum is pappus of white hairs that attach in a ring around the end of the seed. Pappus is significantly longer that seed.
Surface: Seed is slightly grooved, hairy, and covered with white globules.
Could be confused with: Anaphalis margaritacea
Basic Explanations and Assumptions:
The dimensions for the seeds are length x width x depth. The location of the hilum is used as the base of the seed, and the length is measured from hilum to the opposite apex. Where a style is present, the length is measured from the hilum to the bottom of the style. Width is measured at a right angle to the length at the widest part. Depth is measured at a right angle to the intersection of height and width lines.
Measurements included are the mean average for each measurement of ten separate seeds.
All measurements in millimeters unless otherwise noted.
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved from https://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=185118
- WTU Herbarium, Burke Museum, & University of Washington. Retrieved from https://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/taxon.php?Taxon=Antennaria%20howellii
- Illinois Wildflowers. Retrieved from https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/fld_pussytoesx.htm
- Hitchcock, C. L., Cronquist, A., Giblin, D., & Legler, B. et al. (2018). Flora of the Pacific Northwest: an illustrated manual. Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 537.
- Native American Ethnobotany Database. Retrieved from http://naeb.brit.org/uses/3606/
- Native American Ethnobotany Database. Retrieved from http://naeb.brit.org/uses/3607/