- Scientific Name: Barbarea orthoceras
- Family: Brassicaceae
- Common Names: American wintercress rocket, yellow rocket
- Synonyms/Misapplications: Barbarea americana, Barbarea stricta, Campe orthoceras
- Codon: BARORT
|Genus:|| Barbarea W. T. Aiton|
|Species:|| Barbarea orthoceras Ledeb.|
Erect, mostly glabrous biennial herb growing from a taproot with yellow racemes, to 6 dm tall. Basal and cauline leaves lyrate-pinnatifid, lobes 1-4 on each side, margins entire to crenate. Cauline leaves alternate, auriculate-clasping. Racemes ebractate. Flowers bi-radially symmetrical, 4-merous; stamens 6, tetradynamous; ovary superior, 2-carpellate, becoming linear, 1-nerved, 4-angled siliques, 1.5-5 cm long.
Throughout Washington. From Alaska to California and across northern North America.
First Nations use rosettes of the dark green shiny leaves can be cooked or eaten raw in a salad.
Sow seeds in situ in early spring to early summer.Succeeds in sun or shade in a moist well-drained soil. 
Seed sample from: 2011
Average Measurement: 1.6 x 1.1 x 0.8
Measurement Range: L: 1.4 - 1.9, W: 1 - 1.3, D: 0.7 - 1
Color: Hilum reddish and pinched looking. Seed is brownish red.
Surface:Some concave pitting on seed surface. Entire seed is covered with a net veined pattern giving it a scaly appearance. Seed is shiny.
Basic Explanations and Assumptions:
The dimensions for the seeds are length x width x depth. The location of the hilum is used as the base of the seed, and the length is measured from hilum to the opposite apex. Where a style is present, the length is measured from the hilum to the bottom of the style. Width is measured at a right angle to the length at the widest part. Depth is measured at a right angle to the intersection of height and width lines.
Measurements included are the mean average for each measurement of ten separate seeds.
All measurements in millimeters unless otherwise noted.
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved from https://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=22740
- WTU Herbarium, Burke Museum, & University of Washington. Retrieved from http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/taxon.php?Taxon=Barbarea%20vulgaris
- Flora of North America. Retrieved from http://dev.floranorthamerica.org/Barbarea_orthoceras
- Hitchcock, C. L., Cronquist, A., Giblin, D., & Legler, B. et al. (2018). Flora of the Pacific Northwest: an illustrated manual. Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 284.
- WTU Herbarium, Burke Museum, & University of Washington. Retrieved from http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/browse.php?Genus=Barbarea
- USDA Plants Database. Retrieved from https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=baor
- Plants for a Future. Retrieved from https://pfaf.org/User/plant.aspx?LatinName=Barbarea+vulgaris
- Native American Ethnobotany Database. Retrieved from http://naeb.brit.org/uses/7013/
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. (1992). MacMillan Press.