Bromus sitchensis var. carinatus
- Scientific Name: Bromus sitchensis var. carinatus
- Family: Poaceae
- Common Names: California brome
- Synonyms/Misapplications: Bromus carinatus, Ceratochloa carinata
- Codon: BROSIT
|Genus:|| Bromus L.|
|Species:|| Bromus carinatus Hook. & Arn.|
|Subspecies:|| "Bromus carinatus var. carinatus Hook. & Arn.|
Perennial grass with erect culms to 180 cm tall. Sheaths closed, often pubescent, auricles greatly reduced or absent. Inflorescences narrow panicles with 6 to 9-flowered, laterally-compressed spikelets. Panicle branches with 1-5 spikelets. Lemmas keeled, awned, 7-11 veined, laterally compressed, typically glabrous; lower glumes 3-7 veined, glabrous.
Across western North America.
Prairies, grasslands, shrublands, open forest.
Seed sample from: 2008
Average measurement: 14.6 x 1.5 x 1.5
Measurement range: L: 13.5 – 16 W: 1.1 – 1.8 D: 1.2 - 2
Shape: Inner seed is about ½ the size of its husk, and brown.
Color:Seed husk tan, tending to be whiter toward hilium, and browner towards awn.
Surface:Hilium is somewhat glossy, while rest of husk is very hairy. Awn is brown and straight. Surface of seed longitudinally striate and glossy.
Basic Explanations and Assumptions:
The dimensions for the seeds are length x width x depth. The location of the hilum is used as the base of the seed, and the length is measured from hilum to the opposite apex. Where a style is present, the length is measured from the hilum to the bottom of the style. Width is measured at a right angle to the length at the widest part. Depth is measured at a right angle to the intersection of height and width lines.
Measurements included are the mean average for each measurement of ten separate seeds.
All measurements in millimeters unless otherwise noted.
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved from https://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=40520
- Flora of North America. Retrieved from http://dev.floranorthamerica.org/Bromus_sitchensis
- WTU Herbarium, Burke Museum, & University of Washington. Retrieved from https://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/taxon.php?Taxon=Bromus%20sitchensis%20var.%20carinatus
- Hitchcock, C. L., Cronquist, A., Giblin, D., & Legler, B. et al. (2018). Flora of the Pacific Northwest: an illustrated manual. Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 781.