- Scientific Name: Cardamine nuttallii
- Family: Brassicaceae
- Common Names: beautiful bittercres, Nuttall's toothwort, slender toothwort
- Synonyms/Misapplications: Cardamine pulcherrima, Cardamine quercetorum, Dentaria tenella
- Codon: CARNUT
|Genus:|| Cardamine L.|
|Species:|| Cardamine nuttallii Greene|
Perennial, rhizomatous herb with erect stems to 2 dm tall, glabrous to slightly haired. Basal leaves simple to 3-foliate, long-petiolate, round to cordate, scalloped. Cauline leaves 3-foliate, 1-3. Inflorescences racemose, ebractate. Flowers regular, 4-merous; sepals 4, outer pair basally saccate; petals 4, pink, spatulate; stamens 6, tetradynamous; ovary superior, becoming linear siliques to 5 cm x 1.5 mm.
British Columbia to California, chiefly west of the Cascades.
Vernally moist forest openings and understory.
Seed sample from: 2007
Average Measurement: 1.75 x 1.1 x 0.7
Measurement range: L: 1.5 – 2.1, W: 1 – 1.3, D: 0.2 - 0.9
Shape: Seeds a variety of shapes, mostly slightly flattened ellipses, with the hilum to opposite apex being the longest measurement. Some seeds lenticular in shape.
Additional Structures: Cotyledons accumbent with sulcus present in some.
Color: Seeds golden brown with a tan or white hilum surrounded by a darker brown color.
Surface: Seeds are deeply wrinkled or pitted. Wrinkles commonly oriented longitudinally, but not always. Seeds slightly lustrous.
Basic Explanations and Assumptions:
The dimensions for the seeds are length x width x depth. The location of the hilum is used as the base of the seed, and the length is measured from hilum to the opposite apex. Where a style is present, the length is measured from the hilum to the bottom of the style. Width is measured at a right angle to the length at the widest part. Depth is measured at a right angle to the intersection of height and width lines.
Measurements included are the mean average for each measurement of ten separate seeds.
All measurements in millimeters unless otherwise noted.
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved from https://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=501196
- WTU Herbarium, Burke Museum, & University of Washington. Retrieved fromhttps://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/taxon.php?Taxon=Cardamine%20nuttallii
- Flora of North America. Retrieved from http://dev.floranorthamerica.org/Cardamine_nuttallii
- WTU Herbarium, Burke Museum, & University of Washington. Retrieved fromhttp://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/browse.php?Family=Brassicaceae&Classification=Vascular%20Plants&BrowseBy=Family&OrderBy=SciName&Display=Descriptions
- Hitchcock, C. L., Cronquist, A., Giblin, D., & Legler, B. et al. (2018). Flora of the Pacific Northwest: an illustrated manual. Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 293.