- Latin Name: Hieracium scouleri
- Family: Asteraceae
- Common Names: hound tongue hawkweed, Scouler's hawkweed, woolly weed
- Synonyms/Misapplications: Hieracium albertinum, Hieracium chapacanum, Hieracium cusickii, Hieracium cynoglossoides
- Codon: HIESCO
Leaves are elliptical, winged petioles towards base, becoming smaller and sessile up the stem. Leaves are generally hairy on both sides, with long, smooth, or barbellate hairs, not glandular, if leaves are subglabular (almost hairless), then the midveins and margins often have short-glandular hairs, leaves tufted at base during anthesis.
Fruit is a ribbed achene, ~3mm. long, pappus whitish or tawny.
Genus comes from Greek hierax, hawk.
Central BC to northern California, east to Alberta, Montana and Utah.
Forest, meadows, prairies, rocky slopes, stream banks, roadsides, thickets.
Sx̌ʷyʔiɬpx use of infusion of leaves and roots, taken as a general tonic.
See White, Chris, 'Plant Propagation Protocol for Hieracium scouleri' Available at http://courses.washington.edu/esrm412/protocols/protocols_files/forbs_III.htm for propagation information.
- David J. Keil 2012, Hieracium scouleri, in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, /eflora/eflora_display.php?tid=3542, accessed on June 10, 2020.
- Hitchcock, C. L., Cronquist, A., Giblin, D., & Legler, B. et al. (2018). Flora of the Pacific Northwest: an illustrated manual. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
- WTU Herbarium, Burke Museum, & University of Washington. Retrieved from https://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/taxon.php?Taxon=Hieracium%20scouleri
- Bowcutt, F., & Hamman, Sarah. (2016). Vascular plants of the South Sound prairies (First ed.). Olympia, Washington: The Evergreen State College Press.
- Klinkenberg, Brian. (Editor) 2020. E-Flora BC: Electronic Atlas of the Plants of British Columbia [eflora.bc.ca]. Lab for Advanced Spatial Analysis, Department of Geography, University of British Columbia, Vancouver. [Accessed:2020-06-10 1:03:07 PM]
- Turner, Nancy J., R. Bouchard and Dorothy I.D. Kennedy, 1980, Ethnobotany of the Okanagan-Colville Indians of British Columbia and Washington, Victoria. British Columbia Provincial Museum, page 84. Retrieved from http://naeb.brit.org/uses/search/?string=hieracium+scouleri