- Scientific Name: Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
- Family: Ericaceae
- Common Names: red bearberry, kinnikinnik
- Synonyms/Misapplications: Arbutus uva-ursi
- Codon: ARCUVA
|Genus:|| Arctostaphylos Adans.|
|Species:|| Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng|
Perennial, prostrate shrub with spreading, rooting stolons, leathery evergreen leaves, urn-shaped flowers becoming red berries. Stems with reddish bark, sparsely hairy. Leaves oblanceolate to spatulate, alternate, shiny above. Inflorescences racemous, pendant. Flowers 5-merous, white to pinkish; corolla fused, urn shaped; stamens 10, hairy basally, awned, dehiscent by terminal pore; ovary superior, becoming bright red berries.
April - June
Alaska south to California and New Mexico, east to the Atlantic Coast; also in Eurasia.
Use by many First Nations as a smoke plant, food source, diuretic, for kidney treatment and as jewelry.
Seed sample from: 2009
Average Measurement: 3.9 x 2.3 x 1.8
Measurement Range: L: 3.75 - 4, W: 2.1 - 2.5, D: 1.5 - 2.25
Shape: Fruits segmented with seeds like an orange. Individual seeds are orange segment shaped.
Color: Seeds brown. Hilum is a small brown dot on the ridge where the two flat planes of the segment come together.
Surface: Seed mostly smooth. Rounded surface of seed is ridged. It has a slight sheen on the flat planes.
Basic Explanations and Assumptions:
The dimensions for the seeds are length x width x depth. The location of the hilum is used as the base of the seed, and the length is measured from hilum to the opposite apex. Where a style is present, the length is measured from the hilum to the bottom of the style. Width is measured at a right angle to the length at the widest part. Depth is measured at a right angle to the intersection of height and width lines.
Measurements included are the mean average for each measurement of ten separate seeds.
All measurements in millimeters unless otherwise noted.
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved from https://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=23530
- WTU Herbarium, Burke Museum, & University of Washington. Retrieved from http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/taxon.php?Taxon=Arctostaphylos%20uva-ursi
- Flora of North America. Retrieved from http://dev.floranorthamerica.org/Arctostaphylos_uva-ursi
- Jepson Herbarium Online Flora. Retrieved from https://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/eflora/eflora_display.php?tid=13990
- Hitchcock, C. L., Cronquist, A., Giblin, D., & Legler, B. et al. (2018). Flora of the Pacific Northwest: an illustrated manual. Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 402.
- Klinka et al., 1989
- Native American Ethnobotany Database. Retrieved from http://naeb.brit.org/uses/search/?string=Arctostaphylos+uva-ursi