Talk:CIRAL Group Project
talk about what needs to change
Cast your votes by Wednesday! Whichever project gets the most votes will be the one we should try to go ahead with -Brian
voted for the 4 credit core
Onemic18 00:28, 9 October 2011 (PDT)
p.s. use ~~~~ after your discussion entry to automatically add your username and the time.
BEGIN Ludbra29 09:58, 11 October 2011 (PDT)
"NTS:" means note to self. I may start using N.B. for nota bene (meaning: note well). It represents my thoughts and comments. For paragraphs, I will use (EOF) for the last one. It comes from computer science, meaning End of File.
We are hypothesizing about how to create the class. We are not in the action phase. We are listing what we think should be done, and what the measure of success will be.
Social contract expanded to make a group agreement.
- Be real to your experience and background.
- Don't invalidate others' identities or perspectives.
- Have a dream you want to pursue (NTS: requirement? - can't turn away someone from the class because they don't have a dream, but at the same time they may be a group inhibitor).
- Other typical group agreements: step up, step back; Oops, Ouch, Snap; Don't yuck my yum; One mic; Self-care.
Preconditions to CIRAL, Previous learning before registering for the class(one of the below):
- Cornerstone Seminar
- Community Connection course (2cr available to freshmen only)
- Community Volunteer Work
- Prior Learning from Experience (PLE)
Preconditions to CIRAL, Skills for healthy interaction and functioning in the class:
- Interpersonal boundary setting
- Working across differences
- Ability and willingness to be social
- What Civic Intelligence is and isn't (hopefully no emphasis on 'isn't,' but may unfortunately be necessary for lay studies).
- Wiki creation, maintenance, and reuse.
- Civic Intelligence theory (NTS: not sure what this is, but maybe it includes the points below).
- How to be part of a collaborative experience.
- Problems that are faced by groups/communities and their members when trying to organize, and the social/planning/organizational tools needed to continue working (i.e. social innovations for success).
- Briefly examine a few of the current problems we are collectively (i.e. globally) facing, and emphasize the need to be continuously learning.
- Characteristics of an effective citizen. (NTS: Do we know the answer to this?)
- How to get people outside of the class to be involved (e.g. in the Olympia Community or worldwide).
NTS: It seems that there are probably tools already developed that just need to be put into action, instead of being developed by the class. Articles/Presentations/Demos of these could already exist, and should be required for the program. Documenting the successes and short comings of the program via a post mortem will become the outcome of the research.
The above is priming for action and may take up a whole quarter. As such, maybe it is a precondition that is needed before doing the CIRAL. The CIRAL then may become more of a laboratory than a classroom. If no pre-cursor is required, then perhaps we will be trying to teaching each other, which may lead to fragmented knowledge and blind leading the blind. Perhaps the instructor assessment may accommodate everyone where they are at. (EOF)
END Ludbra29 09:58, 11 October 2011 (PDT)
I voted for the four core as well. I think that would be the easiest, fastest and most effective way to get things done. Toteri19 1552, 12 October 2011 (PDT)
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'm casting my (mostly symbolic) vote for the 4 credit core just the same.
-Nichs Stenic13 20:27, 14 October 2011 (PDT)