One of our class projects is to develop a game that will help educate its players about Civic Intelligence.
These are the basic requirements on the game:
- Use patterns from the Liberating Voices book
- Should advance civic intelligence
- Connection to "real world"
- Publish rules online
- Play in class on May 28, 2011
- Ideally, the game would be become part of the CIRAL Toolbox (goal added April 22, 2011)
This list was originally generated in class on April 13. These are all shorthand for the ideas that were raised in relation to the question: How can games support or cultivate civic intelligence?
- Challenge orthodoxy
- Present alternatives
- Observe utopia
- Use teamwork/promote collaboration
- Rewards for good behavior / Consequences for actions
- raise awareness of civic intelligence
- Inhabiting a role (rehearsal for being an "everyday practitioner" of civic intelligence?)
- Civic intelligence as byproduct of game
Each of these represents at least one hypothesis — or claim — that can be explored further and, hopefully, tested in some way. These hypotheses (and more?) should (IMO) be developed on another page, say How games support civic intelligence.
Our Class broke into five(?) design teams each developing a different type of game. You can see their work below.
Please edit team names below and create link to separate page after.
Civic Intelligence RPG
"Team Sofa King Awesome" (how is this not a great name?) is interested in designing a role playing game. Some of the examples mentioned were:
Moving Towards a Civic Community In our first brainstorming session we envisioned some of the elements of the game we might design:
- Character Sheets - a number of different roles within a community. Each character could have
- Personal Goals
- Flavor Text
- Scenarios - these would drive the game by giving the characters something to work towards
- each scenario might have multiple phases
- each phase could impose a limited number of turns to be completed in
- Other game elements
We agreed to meet an hour before class next Wednesday to play Mansions of Madness
Here are some more ideas about the game.
Hey team awesome we are meeting an hour earlier to play a game right??
I'll Be there an hour early (or more) To set up a game and play it with whoever wants to.